Domestic Goddesses

Monday, November 28, 2005

Everyday With Rachael Ray/Butternut Squash Recipe

I just picked up a copy of the new Rachael Ray magazine and so far, I'm really enjoying it. There are some good recipes, fun tips, and overall a nice presentation. The subscription price is a little steeper than I'm used to - $18 for six issues - so I think I'll just observe the newsstands for a little while.

Got a great butternut squash casserole recipe off of Allrecipes.com (thanks, Lauren!) - it is sooo sweet, it's like eating candy. Makes a very good side dish. I love that I've found three new ways to get butternut squash into my family's diet!

Butternut Squash Casserole (allrecipes.com, submitted by Valerie Moore)

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yields: 15 servings

Ingredients:
1 butternut squash
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
3 eggs
1/4 cup margarine, melted

TOPPING
8 oz vanilla wafers, crushed
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 cup brown sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F). Put butternut squash in the microwave and cook on high, until soft, 2-3 minutes. Cut in half, scoop out seeds and cube. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add squash and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash.

In a 9x13 inch casserole dish, combine 3 cups mashed butternut squash, white sugar, milk, vanilla extract, salt, flour, eggs and 1/4 cup melted margarine. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until set.

In a medium bowl, combine crushed vanilla wafers, 1/2 cup melted margarine, and brown sugar. Crumble over top of cooked casserole and return to oven to brown.

2 Comments:

  • With all that sugar I think I would do without getting butternut squash in my families diet!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:24 AM  

  • Delicious, but I only added 1/4 cup of sugar. Next time I won't add any sugar. The squash has a slight sweetness and the topping is very sweet.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home