Domestic Goddesses

Monday, September 25, 2006

Bathroom Martha

In my neverending attempt to transform my apartment into something I'd read about in Real Simple magazine, I grabbed a few books from the Library and set to work.

No Place Like Home: Staying In, Kicking Back, and Living It Up by Michelle Kehm is good stuff. It's called a "nonfiction addition to the ChickLit library" by Publishers Weekly and to me, that is a good thing. It goes down nice and smooth, and has some great ideas. For someone like me, who appears to be developing an allergy to supermarket cleaners, she's got some awesome recipes for cleaners that are gentle to the earth and hopefully won't give me awful hives. At last, I can use the baking soda in my fridge for something! Kehm gives all sorts of good and fun advice from decorating with fake fur (and new tips for first-time sewing afficionados) to growing an herb garden (I may well as for the Chia Herb Garden from Santa this year). Love it!

So far? I've managed to hang a spider plant in the bathroom - something I've thought about for ages but just didn't get around to doing. I can't believe how a silly little plant just lifted my spirits. It looked so sad, dying in my living room. Here in the bathroom, it looks like it may have a chance. Maybe the nice steam from the primordial soup-like showers I take will rejuvenate it?

Then I set to work on the hamper, which I decided to cover in a pretty bluish-gray contact paper (see the contact paper post a couple of posts ago). I did one side of the hamper, so I can see whether or not it sticks (again, thanks to the primordial soup-like showers). If, after a week, it's not falling off, I'll do the whole thing. Baby steps... baby steps.

I'm already thinking of how to skirt the awful black and gold marble-look vanity that I've loathed since day one - who does that to a bathroom sink? I know there will be some Velcro and fabric involved, but I want to make little gathers so that it looks like an actual skirt rather than some psychopath who duct-taped a yard of cloth to a sink. Anyone?

3 Comments:

  • You'll probably need to do a little stitching to make the gathers, what kind of fabric are you thinking of using?

    Trip to the Rag Shop?

    By Blogger Stacey, At 6:02 PM  

  • I'm thinking yes. :-) I'd like something with a little texture, and preferably navy blue - don't want it to look too filthy too quickly! I want to paint the bathroom blue, so the navy will be a nice addition.

    By Blogger Roe, At 4:47 PM  

  • Yep, that would be nice... something washable would be good.

    By Blogger Stacey, At 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home