Domestic Goddesses

Monday, August 14, 2006

The Great Toss-Out

So yesterday I decided that I have been saving stuff that I am most likely never watching or listening to again because of the warm fuzzy feelings I had when I watched/listened to them. My living room cannot afford the real estate taken up by these fuzzy memory avatars, so I started what I affectionately call "The Great Toss-Out".

I fought every packrat tendency I had and parted with over a hundred cassettes (high school mix tapes - ah, the days where I'd put Kiss and Blancmange on the same cassette... nothing like hearing Heaven's On Fire and Lose Your Love one after the other) and VHS tapes.

No, I did NOT toss any of my Duran Duran recorded interviews. I have some sense of decorum.

Out went the video compilations recorded from Friday Night Videos 20 years ago. Out went videotapes worn so thin that it would be a hazard to even play them these days. And when it was over, I felt pretty good. I have an extra cabinet now, so I'll stash some books in there until the next great purge. I still have some cassettes left, but I want to try to listen to those to see how the sound quality is and decide whether or not to keep them.

Slowly - but surely - I'm finally kicking into gear with getting my apartment to look like I want it to look, and not like a Salvation Army firesale.

4 Comments:

  • so you just made more room for the books huh? just kidding! good job. it certainly feels great after a great purge.

    By Blogger P, At 4:32 PM  

  • How'd you guess? ;-)

    By Blogger Roe, At 9:25 AM  

  • We just got a new desk, time to clean out a whole new corner of the apartment... woo hoo!

    By Blogger Stacey, At 12:58 PM  

  • Awesome! Then you can come help me clean mine out!

    By Blogger Roe, At 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home