Domestic Goddesses

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Guacamole!

I love saying that word. It's just a happy kind of word.

I've been a fringe admirer of guacamole for a little while, and finally started trying various versions a few months ago. Mmmm... so cooling, refreshing and tasty. And coming across a recipe for "Too-Easy Guacamole" in the Spring 2006 issue of Better Homes & Gardens' Eat Magazine was the perfect excuse for me to give it a shot, because anything called "Too Easy" is something I need to find out for myself.

Too-Easy Guacamole (from Better Homes & Gardens Eat Magazine, Spring 2006 issue, page 80)

Prep: 15 mins Chill: up to 8 hrs
Makes: about 1 cup

2 ripe avocades, halved, seeded, and peeled
2 tablespoons dairy sour cream
2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
Tortilla chips
Sliced green onions
Chopped tomatoes

Place avocado halves, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a sturdy, resealable plastic bag. Seal bag. Knead with your hands to combine ingredients. (Will loved this part, since I shanghaied him into helping me.) Place in your refrigerator until ready to use (up to 8 hours).

To serve, arrange chips on a serving platter. Snip a hole in one corner of the bag. Squeeze avocado mixture onto corn chips. Sprinkle with onions and tomatoes.

Per 1 tablespoon: 39 calories, 4g fat (1g sat fat), 1mg chol., 21 mg sodium, 2g carb, 1g fiber

Okay - I deviated a bit here. I didn't squeeze my mixture onto tortilla chips, I squeezed it into a Rubbermaid thingie to store in my fridge for snacking purposes. But today, I realized that I don't like the texture of onions and tomatoes, I wanted to explore blending it all smoothly together. So I threw about 3 tablespoons of salsa into a little mini food processor along with the guac, blended it up with another pinch of kosher salt to bring out the flavors, and bingo. Tasty guacamole!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home