Domestic Goddesses

Monday, June 12, 2006

Home...

So, to Roe's reccommendation, I'm going to post on other domestic matters. Since I never seem to cook much of consequence. Though I am tempted to do a little baking this weekend. I'm going to try some cupcakes maybe.

Anyway...

Do any of you have this problem?

Piles of unopened mail.

They haunt my dreams. They haunt my waking hours.
Here's the issue. I rarely even open my statements, and what not, because I get most of that info delivered to me online. And almost all of my bill paying has gone digital. From automatic withdrawls, to online bill pay through my bank, there just isn't much need.

So, if it doesn't have a handwritten address on it, or it's not something I've been waiting for. It tends to get thrown in the "I need to file this pile".

I'm now on the 3rd style of mail basket. First there was the wall hanging basket, that was just pointless, it got full way too fast and then the pile just migrated to the kitchen table. Next there was the Inbox style plastic thing from staples. That only had 3 sides, so you can imagine how long that lasted. Now we're onto the deeper rectangular sized basket. And that works pretty well, until someone throws a CD or a hat on top, and things start to slide off.

Yes, a couple months can go by before I decide to actually open and file these into my yearly expandable file. So as you can imagine, this year has been pretty busy, and Adam's schooling and my making my sister's wedding favors have used up spare time rather than opening mail I didn't need to read. So yesterday I went through it all.

Between junk mail, statement inserts, coupons for free pen sets, and empty envelopes, I filled up 4 grocery bags full of paper. They weren't stuffed to the gills, but wow. What a waste of paper and natural resources.

So, I'm starting a new "Mid-Year Resolution".
  • I'm going to weed out the junk mail daily and only keep what's necessary in "Mount Postal"
  • I'm going to try to remember weekly to file away the week's mail.
  • I'm going to request electronic delivery with more of my bills. I already get that with Verizon, and it uses up so much less paper.

So that's that... keep me honest people.

8 Comments:

  • hahahahaha... Mount Postal...

    As someone who's emptied your mailbox, you do generate a lot of mail. Says the other tree-killer...

    Catalogs. We get them by the ton. Mike's name is on every mailing list out there. Land's End - I bought something from them. Once. Years ago. I swear I get a catalog a week from them. At least one. One for every line - Women's, Men's, Kids, General, Dogs and Cats, you name it. It's terrifying.

    Things You Never Knew Existed. Some crazy weapons reproduction company (that makes rocking LOTR and Harry Potter stuff, btw). Collections Etc. Everything $15. Blair. Sears. You name it, we get it. It's terrifying me to the core.

    And they all sit on my dining room table. Because I'm the only one to finally scream and put them all in the recycling bin.

    By Blogger Roe, At 4:58 PM  

  • How many catalogs to I really need from Dell? Or MacMall?

    It's insane. Now, I'm getting mailings from Target all the time.

    By Blogger Stacey, At 10:19 AM  

  • Yeah, Target is now entering the snail mail spam fray. WTF?

    I got a catalog from Amazon a couple of months ago. With yard equipment. This is really getting out of hand!

    By Blogger Roe, At 11:29 AM  

  • I have a bag of unopened mail that moved with us last fall still sitting in the closet. On the other hand though, buying our new car was so exciting that I was actually happy when the payment booklet arrived. I'm sure that feeling won't last forever.

    By Blogger Lauren, At 3:01 PM  

  • I think we need to have our next Girls' Night Out/In either involve building a huge junk mail bonfire or a mass recycling expedition.

    By Blogger Roe, At 4:34 PM  

  • We could build a whole building out of the junk mail... like a girl's clubhouse...

    By Blogger Stacey, At 4:25 PM  

  • That's a far more constructive project. I'm all for it.

    By Blogger Roe, At 4:36 PM  

  • Someone should write a magazine article about this, I would totally read that.

    By Blogger Lauren, At 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home