Domestic Goddesses

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I HATE MY OVEN!!!

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

I hate my oven.  Absolutely hate it!  
So I go ahead this past weekend to try a new - old recipe from the vintage cookbook and my oven stinks!

The oven is supposed to set to 350 and bake for about 40 minutes - it was still mush!  I looked at our oven thermometer and it read 300!!!

And we just got it fixed about three months ago.  Grrrrrr.
I was not happy.

Anyway, here's the recipe - doesn't state where it's from just that it's from 1940
1 c. flour
1 tsp. baking poweder
1/4 c. melted unsalted butter
1 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
4 tbsp. water

Preheat oven to 350
Beat eggs until they are pale yellow and slightly thickened.
Add the sugar and mix well.
Mix the flour and the baking powder in a separate bowl and slowly fold into mixture.
Add the butter and vanilla and water.

Bake for 40 minutes.

Now here's my question:  Did everyone have electric mixers then?  Because certain recipes that my grandmother had do not work if I use a mixer - we had to alter it in order to do this.   In order to follow her recipe directly, we have to use a hand wisk or a wooden spoon.  

Maybe - in addition to the oven not working properly - that I ruined the consistency by using an electric mixer?  Hmmm....something to ponder.

3 Comments:

  • Sounds like an episode of Martha Stewart. Cooking with vintage cookbooks and antique kitchen tools :)

    By Blogger Lauren, At 10:58 AM  

  • my oven likes to go the other direction and shoot up to 5-600 degrees...

    I think you're right about the electric mixers. I've been known to overbeat eggs because of mine, and kind of get harder chewier cookies...

    By Blogger Stacey, At 1:13 PM  

  • Haha. It does sound like a question for Martha! Perhaps I should phone in?

    By Blogger P, At 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home